Just read through these and it strikes me how so many of us (myself included) can trace symptoms years back and yet diagnosis was severely delayed. I showed signs of it as a junior in college, just 20, and had my first major flare which included hospitalization at 24, yet wasn't diagnosed until I was 44 - - yep, took 20 years to finally get someone to believe me and willing to travel that road to it's conclusion. I remember watching the Avonex DVD as well as reading the literature on it after being diagnosed and becoming sooooo angry as they kept stressing the importance of "early diagnosis, early treatment" being key. I had had 20 years where something could have been done - - worse yet, the doc who diagnosed me had wasted 3 of those years telling me I was possible/probable and didn't have enough white spots! Had to wait until it went into a severe progression before finally deciding I could be dx'd and given medication to slow it. However, it took like 3 medi???? iv's that year in addition to the DMT to finally get it under control.
Not sure what, but something NEEDS to be done to about the slow diagnosis process as it never ceases to amaze me how "connected" people tend to be diagnosed immediately and yet, everyone else waits and waits and waits...
Okay, off my soap box!
49 but doc recons I've could have had it years before that.
yes, I was diagnosed at 47. For several years I was told that I was making up my symptoms, or that I was faking it. I have had MS at least 10 years, now I no longer work, but wish I could.
Yes I was in my late 50's but they think I might have had it for a long time.
I was diagnosed at 44 but symptoms began 7 years before.