Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyMSTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyMSTeam Member asked a question 💭
Quincy, MA

Hi does anyone else suffer from panic attacks? I get them only at night. Shivering, heart racing, shaking, vomiting and diarrhea many times. It lasts 2 to 3 hours! I know not normal but wonder if MS and altered neuro sympathetic response? Not side effect of Betaserone. Only happens every other month or so but so awful.

August 1, 2022
 · 
Reactions
A MyMSTeam Member

I’m sorry you are having panic attacks. I have had panic attacks but years before I was diagnosed with MS. I was prescribed an antidepressant which helped along with therapy and learning how to breathe and meditate to calm myself down. I hope you can discover what can help you!

August 1, 2022
A MyMSTeam Member

I have them during the day sometimes, but I've found that Xanax helps.

August 4, 2022
A MyMSTeam Member

That is also great feedback but didn’t wanna get into biofeedback that helps drop heart pounding!!! Godspeed my fellow WARRIOR 💪💪💪

August 1, 2022
A MyMSTeam Member

I have ptsd as another so sickness n 10 mgm Valium before wanna sleep n I get 4-5 hours n no memory of dreams!!!

August 1, 2022
MyMSTeam

Panic attacks can occur in people with multiple sclerosis (MS) as part of anxiety disorders. Here are some key points from the knowledge base:

- Prevalence: Anxiety disorders, including panic attacks, are common among people with MS
- Symptoms: Symptoms of anxiety, which can include panic attacks, may involve:
- Show Full Answer

Panic attacks can occur in people with multiple sclerosis (MS) as part of anxiety disorders. Here are some key points from the knowledge base:

- Prevalence: Anxiety disorders, including panic attacks, are common among people with MS.
- Symptoms: Symptoms of anxiety, which can include panic attacks, may involve:
- Experiencing sleep disturbances
- Having a pounding or racing heart
- Having trouble controlling feelings of worry
- Experiencing feelings of being out of control
- Having headaches, muscle aches, and stomach aches
- Triggers: Anxiety in MS may be triggered by the unpredictability of the condition, the onset of new symptoms, or fears about future disease progression.
- Treatment: Anxiety, including panic attacks, is treatable with therapy, medication, and lifestyle support.

For more detailed information, you can refer to the article "From Kava to Xanax: What’s Safe for Anxiety With MS" on MyMSTeam.

July 21, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyMSTeam Member asked a question 💭
Morrow, GA

A MyMSTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lakewood, CO

A MyMSTeam Member asked a question 💭
Elizabethtown, IL

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In