Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyMSTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
December 6, 2024
 · 
Reactions
A MyMSTeam Member

I don't take any medications that have all these side effects. I have had MS for 25 years. Initially when I was first diagnosed, I was panicked and thought I should take medication. I was wrong. Avonex made me really sick and depressed. Copaxone totally messed up my body, made me fat, made all the hair fall out on my legs. I don't know what all the other problems it caused, but my son said I was different after I started taking it. I took it 7 years, and it never helped anything with my MS. So I quit taking all that disease modifying crap, especially the ones that cause PML, and liver damage, and who knows what else. After 25 years, my neurologist says I am in remission from MS, I outlived it. Unfortunately with MS remission doesn't mean you get better, you stay the same, but I've realized there is no point being negative when you have this disease, you have to have hope always. When you first get it, it seems hopeless, but I don't think it is. I think I will get better using natural cures and being positive. I hate that people with MS are victims of the pharmaceutical companies who make billions off of our pain and suffering. It's a crime and I hope that someday people with MS will be treated better than they are. When the polio vaccine came out, everyone got one and no one was charged for it. That's the way it should be, not greedy people profiting from a disease that they say is incurable. Don't ever give up!

December 7, 2024
MyMSTeam

Vumerity (Diroximel fumarate) is an FDA-approved oral medication for managing relapsing forms of MS, including clinically isolated syndrome, relapsing-remitting MS, and active secondary progressive MS. Common side effects include abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, and flushing. Rare but serious risks include liver damage Show Full Answer

Vumerity (Diroximel fumarate) is an FDA-approved oral medication for managing relapsing forms of MS, including clinically isolated syndrome, relapsing-remitting MS, and active secondary progressive MS. Common side effects include abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, and flushing. Rare but serious risks include liver damage, reduced white blood cell count, and progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (a severe brain infection). Consult your doctor if you're pregnant or planning to be. For more details, visit: [Vumerity](https://www.mymsteam.com/treatments/vumerity).

December 6, 2024
A MyMSTeam Member

Yes, unfortunately. Sorry this is a long read, but I want to make sure I cover everything.

I was put on Vumerity in 2022. I should have been prescribed Omeprazole along with it, but my neurologist didn't realise. After 3 or 4 months my back pain flared up so I took Ibuprofen, which caused stomach problems that I'm still battling with almost 2 years after the incident with my back. I was only told that Vumerity might lead to PML and so I would only be taking it for a few years. Now I'm not on any Disease Modifying Treatment, and I can barely eat anything without having crippling stomach pain or vomiting all night.

I'm sure the Vumerity would have been fine if my Neurologist had also prescribed the Omeprazole with it, but that ship has sailed.

Basically Vumerity is in the same group of drugs (sort of) as Ibuprofen, which can cause stomach problems if you have too much. Make sure your doctor/neurologist knows this!!!

December 7, 2024 (edited)
A MyMSTeam Member

I’m on it now & have been since I was diagnosed. I haven’t had any lesions since. It was scary at first, I learned the hard way to take & eat without Headaches

December 6, 2024
A MyMSTeam Member

I used to take it but my doctor changed my meds to Teriflunomide 14mg. The Vumerity made me dizzy

December 6, 2024

Related Questions

View All