Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyMSTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Is this common? Anything to help it?

September 24
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members responded with great empathy to the question about worsening speech, confirming that saying the wrong word out loud, even when... Read more

Members responded with great empathy to the question about worsening speech, confirming that saying the wrong word out loud, even when thinking the right one, is a very common MS experience. Several members shared helpful strategies like slowing speech down by 30 to 40 percent to improve clarity, using humor to ease conversations, and openly telling others about their MS to reduce awkwardness. A recurring theme was learning to accept these changes with grace, let go of the pressure to keep up with an older version of oneself, and lean on the community for support.

A MyMSTeam Member

THISTLE, I had this exact problem for several years I slowed speech down about 30 or 40%. They seem allow me to enunciate the words. I did not feel as if I were slurring. They seem to correct the problem. It takes patient because we are so used to speaking quickly. I think the worst thing I can do with MS is try to keep up with the old me. Stay tough

September 24
A MyMSTeam Member

@A MyMSTeam Member that’s wise to speak slower, so you’re on the right track . May God help you and us all because it’s pretty rough to continue on with this disease

September 25
A MyMSTeam Member

Is your speech slurred or do you say the wrong word? I say the wrong word frequently. I think of the word but something else comes out

September 24 (edited)
A MyMSTeam Member

Thank you!

September 26
A MyMSTeam Member

I've dealt with "wrong worditis" for a long time and sometimes it seems worse than others. At first I had a hard time acknowledging this was happening but eventually had to accept it as it occurred more often at that point. I learned to laugh at it and just let whomever I was trying to speak with know that I have MS and it was the reason for the word switch. I let them know that in my head I said the word I was supposed to be saying but somewhere between my brain and my mouth it decided to switch with something else. Most people relax and seem to understand when I use humor and make them relax with the problem. Once it happens with someone they know what is happening and we both joke about it. On top of this the volume of my voice has gone way done and sometimes I sound more like a frog trying to talk. It gets so bad that I have to repeat myself - sometimes several times - and I get frustrated but at myself (for not being able to get my voice loud enough) not at the other person. It's not their fault if they can't hear me. Hang in there because you aren't alone and we are here to support you.

September 26

Related Questions

View All
A MyMSTeam Member asked a question 💭
Springs, ZA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In