MSF 12 Speech Problems
I hope this helps.
Speech disorders are fairly common in MS. Speech patterns are controlled by many areas in the brain, especially the brainstem. Lesions (damaged areas) in different parts of the brain can cause several types of changes in normal speech patterns. They range from mild difficulties to severe problems that make it difficult to speak and be understood. Medically, speech disorders are called dysarthrias.
• One pattern that is commonly associated with MS is so-called scanning speech. Scanning dysarthria produces speech in which the normal "melody" or speech pattern is disrupted, with abnormally long pauses between words or individual syllables of words.
• People with MS may also slur words. This is usually the result of weakness and/or incoordination of the muscles of the tongue, lips, cheeks and mouth.
• Other speech problems include nasal speech, which sounds as though the person has a cold or nasal obstruction.
Dysarthrias are commonly associated with other symptoms caused by lesions in the brainstem. These include tremor, head shaking or incoordination.
Treating speech problems
Many people can be aided by a speech/language pathologist, who can evaluate and help to improve speech patterns, enunciation and oral communication in general.
If a person with MS becomes unable to speak, there are many assistive devices available. These range from alphabet cards to hand-held communicators that print out a tape, to computers that respond to eye blinks.
Many persons with dysarthria also have dysphagia (difficulty in swallowing). Speech therapists are trained to evaluate, diagnose and relieve these problems.
Additional resources
Speak for Yourself- Momentum article
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association provides an online search tool to locate certified speech-language pathologists (SLPs) and audiologists.
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
2200 Research Boulevard
Rockville, MD 20850-3289
Phone: (Phone number can only be seen by the question and answer creators)
Website: http://www.asha.org/profind/
@A MyMSTeam Member I have personal experience with voice problems, just not changing octaves when I speak like when a teen boy goes through puberty and their voice changes. Slurred words could be caused by a variety of things. First on the list, did you make sure you weren’t having a stroke by doing the FAST test that they keep talking about?
https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@...
If not a stroke and you’ve had symptoms longer than 24 hours, I agree with NonaRosalita, it’s time to call your neurologist and let them know what’s going on as you could be having a relapse. Since it involves your tongue muscle, I suggest you see an Ear Nose and Throat specialist ENT to see why your voice is having problems. They can order tests to help figure out what might be going on. One test is called the “Barium Swallow” test and can see how your tongue muscle and swallowing are working, see if any liquids or solids are going where they’re not supposed to.
https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=mo...
A weakened tongue muscle can be responsible for your speech problems, which was something I did have at one point. The ENT can also determine why your voice keeps changing octaves when you talk. You might need to see a Speech Pathologist if it’s deemed necessary. I’ve had many sessions with my Speech Path over the years, and she was very helpful.
The point I’m trying to make is that this is definitely NOT normal and needs to be looked at more closely if you still have the problem. Don’t mess around with a “wait and see” attitude. It’s better to get reassurance if it turns out to not be anything.
@A MyMSTeam Member, I have the same issue, will be starting to say something and it totally disappears in my head. Extremely frustrating when it happens (which is to often).
I recently came across this. It may help everyone understands what is happening with their speech.
I kind of understand. My main problem is when I am talking with someone and I totally forget what we were talking about it in the middle of a sentence. It just to bother me. Now I said sorry to the person and tell them that my brain is rebooting and move on.
Why fighting something I can't control.
Hope this help.