Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyMSTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyMSTeam Member asked a question 💭
Clay Hill Florida

I was in another accident. I don't want to say much, but it was my fault. No one was hurt. Just small damages. The woman who had the car hugged me.

5 days ago
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members rallied around the question of when to stop driving with MS, sharing deeply personal stories of accidents, physical symptoms, and the... Read more

Members rallied around the question of when to stop driving with MS, sharing deeply personal stories of accidents, physical symptoms, and the emotional weight of losing independence. Many described giving up driving due to foot spasms, slowed reaction time, vision problems, and brain fog, while others described adjusting by driving only locally, leaving larger gaps between cars, or avoiding highways. A recurring theme was the grief of losing independence balanced with the relief of keeping others safe, with members offering practical alternatives like Uber, Lyft, Walmart delivery, and medical transit services.

A MyMSTeam Member

Hello @A MyMSTeam Member, so sorry this happened but so thankful nobody was hurt. It’s a really tough decision to make. I live in a small village and just drive very locally. I will be stopping soon I think. Look after yourself 💐💜

5 days ago
A MyMSTeam Member

@A MyMSTeam Member, that was before when I only needed a cane. My MIL would take forever and the last time she parked diagonally instead of straight and said “oh well” when I mentioned the parking job. I only got part of the stuff I needed so we could just get out sooner. It’s crazy how losing part of our independence really brings you down.

3 days ago
A MyMSTeam Member

Thank you Danny @A MyMSTeam Member I'm just rattled.

5 days ago
A MyMSTeam Member

I stopped driving in 2018 but I have no need to. There is a rapid transit bus stop right outside my building. I use the back door, walk about 200 feet and cross the street. The stop is in the middle of the road. I think the bus is faster than driving.

I also use Uber when I have medical appointments. A friend drives me on MRI days because I take a sedative.

20 hours ago (edited)
A MyMSTeam Member

I knew it was time to stop when I tried to step on the brake pedal but stepped on the gas instead. Several times. And that was in an empty parking lot thank God. Not worth it.

2 days ago

Related Questions

View All
A MyMSTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bryan, TX

A MyMSTeam Member asked a question 💭
Louisville, KY

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In