Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyMSTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyMSTeam Member asked a question 💭
Haverstraw, NY

Hey everyone,
I am in the process of obtaining my medical marijuana card and wanted to know if anyone is currently taking it and the positive effects it has had. Does it help with nerve pain? Muscle pain? Insomnia?

September 12, 2016
 · 
Reactions
A MyMSTeam Member

Hello everyone,
I’ve been using medical Marijuana for several years, with positive results
Hello everyone,
I guess you could say when it comes to medical Marijuana I’m knowledgeable in this area.

Pain
Over 60 percent of people with MS will experience MS-related pain during the course of their disease . MS-related pain includes neuropathic pain and musculoskeletal pain. Research on cannabis use in MS to treat pain shows mixed results, however, most pharmaceutical grade cannabis-based treatments showed evidence of reducing pain on at least some measures. Smoked cannabis is of unclear safety and efficacy for reducing pain.

A review of randomized control trials examining the effects of cannabis treatment for pain (including but not limited to pain associated with MS), revealed that cannabis is a modestly effective analgesic in treating pain compared to mock drugs in seven of the 11 studies . Similarly, a report from the Guideline Development Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology, hereafter called the AAN guidelines, published that oral cannabis extract is effective in reducing pain, however, the efficacy of smoked cannabis in reducing pain is unclear . Contrary to these findings, another review of four trials revealed no difference in pain scores between cannabis treated groups and comparator groups .
Several other studies have evaluated the effect of neuropathic pain in people diagnosed with MS. One small clinical trial involving 15 individuals diagnosed with relapsing-remitting MS found that cannabis, in combination with gabapentin (an oral medication used for the treatment of pain) was effective and well-tolerated for the treatment of neuropathic pain .
Another small study of 64 individuals with MS found that cannabis-based treatment was effective in reducing pain and was mostly well-tolerated13. Similar results were found in the CAMS study in which patient-reported outcomes revealed a patient perceived improvement in pain 4,5.
Other symptoms

August 31, 2022
A MyMSTeam Member

I use it in suckers! But don't show your child! It helped you back pain,leg stiffness, and spastic bladder.

September 15, 2016
A MyMSTeam Member

I use capsules, and occasionally a vaporizor. It is expensive; $200-250 a month. Worth it for me.

September 13, 2016
A MyMSTeam Member

I just got my certification today and registered online for my card. Apparently the card arrives very quickly. Jaycee, where do you live? What type of administration do you receive? Vapor? Capsules?
How much do you spend? I have no idea what I'm walking into especially with cost.

September 13, 2016
A MyMSTeam Member

I can't wait to get mine. How long did it take?

September 13, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyMSTeam Member asked a question 💭

A MyMSTeam Member asked a question 💭
Akron, OH

A MyMSTeam Member asked a question 💭
Royal Oak, MI

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In